Richard regularly gives lectures on a wide range of subjects, especially on literature, theatre and film.
He has lectured for Gresham College at the Museum of London, the Ludlow Georgian Festival, the Bath Shakespeare Society, and many times for the National Army Museum. Topics include:
- London on Film: locations from silent movies to the present and the history of the birth of commercial cinema in the West End.
- Alfred Hitchcock’s Films and his London: the Master of Suspense in his home town
SHERLOCK HOLMES & ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE:
- London locations in the Sherlock Holmes stories and their screen adaptations
- The Strand Magazine: changing the face of popular reading for a generation
- The Strand Magazine in the Great War
- Conan Doyle’s story: A Life packed with Adventures
- Conan Doyle’s Wars: White Company to Western Front
- Conan Doyle’s London: grounding fantasy in reality
- The British Empire at War in the Movies (2 parts)
- Screen Soldiers: Guinness, Mills & Hawkins
- The cinematic campaigns of David Niven
- Shakespeare’s London and the early Theatres
- Shakespeare’s Kings in the Wars of the Roses
- Provincial Theatre in Georgian England
- The books and screenplays of George MacDonald Fraser
- The Flashman Novels
- P G Wodehouse
- Colonel Blood and the Crown Jewels robbery
- The Princes in the Tower
For bookings please use the Contact Form.